Parks and Recreation Director
City of Frankfort
Date Posted: 11/13/2018 11:35:03 AM
As Kentucky's Capital City, Frankfort is committed to preserving its unique history while taking a proactive approach to building its future. We promote an enhanced quality of life, work and play by providing professional services in a responsive, timely and compassionate manner that meets and exceeds expectations of all our citizens. Our employees enjoy a supportive work environment, offering work/life balance and a real opportunity to make a difference. Parks and Recreation Director, Frankfort, KY Full time position Under general supervision, this position is responsible for the general administration, development and direction of parks, recreation and historic sites programs for all groups and age and interest levels within the City, and for developing and maintaining the necessary physical facilities to make programs effective.
This position reports to the City Manager and manages 9 full time staff and approximately 300 seasonal and part-time employees. Key Responsibilities Include:
- Plans and directs an expanding flexible program of parks and recreational activities for all segments, groups, and age and interest levels of the community.
- Oversees nine divisions including Juniper Hills Golf maintenance, Parks, Recreation and Athletics, Aquatics, Historic Sites, Urban Forestry, and Cove Springs Nature Preserve.
- Recommends the acquisition of and directs the development of appropriate structures and facilities so as to best serve the widest parks and recreational interests of the community.
- Responsible for overseeing the Historic Sites program, including the city museum.
- Responsibility for long-range planning for capital improvements.
- Assists Grants Manager with applications for local, state, and federal grants.
- Works closely with three boards: Board of Park Commissioners, Urban Forestry/Tree Board and Capital City Museum Board.
- Coordinates public relations activities through news media and public speaking engagements.
- Works closely with Tourism and other agencies to promote the City and coordinate events.
- Provides leadership to departmental staff.
- Delegates and supervises the work of subordinates.
- Develops, supports, controls and administers the budget for the department.
- Prepares or directs the preparation of periodic and special reports.
- Interprets the program through representation on committees and contact with agencies and groups, both public and private. Candidate Competencies Include: •Communicates clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Establishes realistic budget plans and demonstrates fiscal accountability.
- Develops networks and builds alliances; collaborates across boundaries to build strategic relationships and achieve common goals.
- Treats all people with respect; works cooperatively with people of diverse cultural identities.
- Provides direction, motivation, and sets an example through open communication and modeling best practices.
Work Experience Requirements: A minimum of five years of professional experience in parks and recreation administration. Graduate work in a related field will substitute for the experience on a year-for- year basis.
Education Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree, including courses in parks and recreation administration, supplemented by graduate work in parks and recreation. Additional experience will substitute for the college education on a year-for-year basis. Special Requirements: Must possess and maintain a valid Commonwealth of Kentucky driver’s license.
Benefits: Employees receive a comprehensive benefits package including pension benefits, medical, dental, vision, life, disability insurance, paid leave, 401(k) and 457 options with an employer match, and tuition reimbursement. Please note that satisfactory completion of a drug test and background check is a condition of employment.
The City of Frankfort is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Values Diversity.
How to Apply Interested candidates should submit the following items by 4:00 p.m., Friday, November 30, 2018. •Cover letter •Resume •Fully completed City of Frankfort employment application Please submit all documents via the City of Frankfort’s website.