Injuries due to slips and falls often occur, but become even more prevalent during inclement weather. The recent snowfall across the Commonwealth resulted in several injury claims due to slips and falls and additional precipitation is in the forecast. We encourage everyone to stay safe by anticipating these unsafe conditions and remain vigilant by utilizing safe work practices, including:
- Use appropriate footwear that provides adequate traction. A slip occurs when there is too little friction between your footwear and the walking surface, so proper footwear rather than dress shoes, is critical for the prevention of these injuries. Traction devices or non-slip shoe appliances are available in the marketplace that significantly improve contact with the walking surface.
- Walk cautiously, shorten your stride, and walk slowly.
- Pay attention to your surroundings and know you working conditions.
- Immediately clean up spills and leaks.
- Report hazardous conditions to a manager or supervisor.
- Ensure lighting conditions are appropriate for the work area.
- Use handrails on stairways and where available.
- Law Enforcement personnel should review their department’s Pursuit Policy to prevent injuries that occur during foot pursuits.
For additional information regarding the prevention of slip and fall injuries, including KLC Safety Moment videos, please reference our website. or contact your Loss Control representative. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) also provides detailed safety information regarding winter weather hazards.