City of Covington | Covington , KY
Date Posted: 2/28/2020 1:22:37 PM
Under the direction of the Finance Director, the employee is responsible for the administration and supervision of purchasing functions for the City. Work involves a high level of interdepartmental cooperation with all City department directors. The incumbent must be able to work within the framework of the general policies set by the City Commission and the City Manager. Work is reviewed by the City’s Finance Director through observation, written reports, conferences, and results obtained. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected. Performs other work as required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Manages the day-to-day operations of City procurement activities and provides advice on the interpretation of applicable procurement policies and procedures.
- Responsible for managing diverse procurement projects including oversight of:
- Requests for Proposals (RFP) Requests for Qualifications (RFQ); Invitations for Bids (IFB); and Invitations to Negotiate (ITN).
- Serve as a resource on large and/or complex sourcing and provides post award support to include bid protest and vendor/city issues.
- Identifies and implements improvements to processes, procedures, policies and systems to increase efficiency and effectiveness within the supply chain. Keep department/division staff updated through correspondence and training.
- Assists the City Clerk with ensuring a structured schedule is in place to enable adequate contract management, administration, and a central filing system is in place to access for annual audit purposes.
- Facilitates all testing, implementation, training, and maintenance of all purchasing software.
- Assists City department staff in the preparation of bid packages, requests for proposals, specifications, advertisements, procurement contracts, amendments, and other related procurement documents and materials.
- Reviews, analyzes, and approves, subject to applicable procedures, bid/quote proposals for City supplies and services.
- Communicates effectively with City department staff and vendors to ensure contracted services comply with contract requirements; and evaluates and reviews contracts on a continuing basis to ensure financial and functional requirements are met.
- Provides purchasing support in the issuance of notices, making of payment, updating of bonds and insurance, audits, and general compliance with all contract terms, conditions, and conformity to legal, fiscal, and administrative requirements.
- Conducts research on City-wide purchasing trends to determine bid/proposal needs for large-volume commodities and services.
- Reviews and approves purchase requisitions and supervises the issuance of purchase orders and purchase order maintenance.
- Monitors purchase threshold levels and ensures proper approval and documentation is submitted throughout the purchase approval process.
- Assists and monitors the sale and disposal of surplus equipment and materials, and the sale of City real estate.
- Works with departments to complete and maintain Vendor Performance Reports (VPR), at a minimum annually. Works closely with the Accounts Payable division, to establish an online vendor portal and develop a virtual payables system that provides the most financial benefit to the City when entering into contracts and agreements with vendors and maintain vendor catalog files.
- Prepares special reports and papers as needed. Functions in various capacities and completes special projects as required by the City’s Finance Department.
Salary Information: $50,000-$70,000
Application Deadline: 03/27/2020
Human Resources Generalist
20 West Pike St.
Covington, KY 41011