Louisville Metro Council | Louisville , KY
Date Posted: 9/6/2019 5:08:58 PM
Candidate will initially serve in the role of Metro Council Assistant Clerk through the end of 2019 and may be appointed to the position of Metro Council Clerk in January 2020.
General Duties & Responsibilities
Serves as custodian of official Louisville Metro Council records and public documents; Official recorder of all city council meetings; Coordinates legislative actions with other departments and agencies and being the first contact for public and other government officials.
Examples of Duties
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Signs, certifies and preserves city ordinances, resolutions, reports and other documents; maintains files.
- Serves as official secretary and offers clerical support for the city council: prepares city council meeting agendas, issues meeting notices, records and preserves official meeting minutes and other official documents, and receives legal service of papers.
- Maintains an official meeting calendar for council/committee meetings.
- Registers the public to address the Council Assist with and distribute annual codification updates
- Maintains records on the members of various boards.
- Analyzes office operating procedures within the Council Clerks Office in order to identify and resolve problems
- Exercise supervision of subordinate personnel Provides orientation to newly elected members and their staffs related to submission of legislation
- Responds to open records requests from the public; and refers to County Attorney personnel for assistance if necessary
- Accurate transcription of meeting minutes.
- Notarize Documents
- Ability to oversee the content included on the Louisville Metro Council website
The work consists of a variety of administrative and technical duties. The purpose of this position is to coordinate and supervise the maintenance of city records and legal transactions for the city. Successful performance helps ensure an effectively documented city administration. This position is appointed annually by and serves at the pleasure of the Louisville Metro Council
COMMUNICATIONS/CUSTOMER CONTACT Contacts are typically with co-workers, local and state elected officials, employees, attorneys, employees from other governments and municipal associations and the general public. Contacts are typically to give and exchange information, resolve problems, and provide services.
COMPETENCIES/SPECIFIC EXPERIENCE OR TRAINING PREFERRED: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education and Experience Four-year baccalaureate degree in Political Science, Public Administration Business Management or related field and three to five years of related experience. Equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to meet the requirements of a State of Kentucky Certified City Clerk and the mandatory training requirements for election officials. Certified Municipal Clerk designation, highly desired Exercise supervision of subordinate personnel Knowledge,
- Skills and Abilities - Compliance with all federal, state and local laws and regulations Skill in operating modern office equipment. Skill in the use of word processing, spreadsheet and database management software. Skill in report preparation and records maintenance. Skill in written and oral communication and interpersonal relations. Skill in decision making and problem solving Skill in planning and directing diverse work activities and groups Skill in web communication and development Equipment and Applications Must be able to work evenings and odd hours; Personal computer and related software, including word processing and spreadsheet software; printer; calculator; telephone; and fax and copy machine.
Salary Information: $65,000-$80,000
Application Deadline: 09/19/2019
Please utilize the link to apply online via the Louisville Metro Government Job Openings Website
Director Council Services
601 West Jefferson Street
Louisville, KY 40202