City of Frankfort
Date Posted: 10/9/2018 9:09:09 AM
CITY OF FRANKFORT
Download this job description PDF.
As Kentucky's Capital City, Frankfort is committed to preserving its unique history while taking a proactive approach to building its future. We promote an enhanced quality of life, work and play by providing professional services in a responsive, timely and compassionate manner that meets and exceeds expectations of all our citizens.
Our employees enjoy a supportive work environment, offering work/life balance and a real opportunity to make a difference.
E911 Manager, Frankfort, KY-Full time position
Under general direction, position is responsible for performing administrative work in planning, organizing, directing, coordinating and evaluating the activities of the E911/Dispatch communications center. This position reports to the Police Chief and manages a staff of eighteen.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Establishes appropriate and reasonable service levels and supervises the development, work plans, staffing, equipment requirements, cost projections, and employee schedules necessary to provide service in a timely and cost efficient manner.
- Oversees personnel activities; administers discipline and supervises employee relations; ensures that rules, regulations, policies, and procedures are uniformly and fairly enforced.
- Works directly with the selection and promotion of departmental personnel.
- Administers the training activities for employees in all departments and divisions, which utilize the radio communications, 911 and enhanced 911 system.
- Establishes and coordinates communications between all city departments and other governmental agencies.
- Coordinates communications activities with state, federal and other police and fire agencies.
- Meets with the staff, various levels of professional agencies, citizen groups, committees, and others in an attempt to resolve communication problems.
- Develops, updates, implements and approves policies and procedures relative to communications activities.
- Administers Division budget.
- Develops new concepts, long-range projects and forecasts to determine future costs, personnel needs, equipment requirements, and to anticipate future contingencies.
- Determines the short range needs and plans for the Division.
- Directs research and special studies geared toward improving service levels, efficiency and cost effectiveness of Division operations.
- Evaluates and approves project recommendations concerning the cost effectiveness of various alternatives.
Candidate Competencies Include:
- Is knowledgeable about the subject matter, procedures, requirements, regulations and policies related to area of responsibility.
- Ability to maintain composure and self-control.
- Ability to react quickly and calmly with good judgement in emergency situations.
- Communicates clearly both orally and in writing.
- Provides direction, motivation and sets an example through open communication and modeling best practices.
- Manages resources to maximize efficiency and effectiveness; recognizes and effectively leverages employee’s skills and abilities.
- Understands the organization’s financial processes and monitors expenditures and uses cost-benefit thinking to set priorities.
- Treats all people with respect; works cooperatively with people of diverse cultural identities.
- Maintains a respectful, diverse and inclusive work environment where decisions and transactions are transparent and objective.
Work Experience Requirements:
Three (3) years of experience in managing a 911 communications system with computer aided dispatch or a minimum of three (3) years of experience or education which provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with major course work in public or business administration, communications or a related field. Additional related experience will substitute for the education on a year-for-year basis.
Must possess and maintain a valid Commonwealth of Kentucky driver’s license.
Employees receive a comprehensive benefits package including pension benefits, medical, dental, vision, life, disability insurance, paid leave, 401(k) and 457 options with an employer match, and tuition reimbursement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should submit the following items by 4:00 p.m., Wednesday, October 31, 2018
- Cover letter
- Fully completed City of Frankfort employment application
Please note that satisfactory completion of a drug test and background check is a condition of employment.
The City of Frankfort is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Values Diversity.Application Deadline: 10/31/2018
315 W. 2nd Street
Frankfort, KY 40601