Reentering and Recovering - A Comprehensive Opioid Response - April 25 in Covington
Stakeholder Forum: Reentering and Recovering - A Comprehensive Opioid Response - Covington, KY
April 25, 2018
8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Free event - open to the public
View the agenda.
The Madison Event Center
Intended audience: people involved in law enforcement, judicial system, criminal justice, corrections, community treatment, health care, and recovery support.
Featured speakers include:
- Representative Kimberly Moser, House District 64
- Jason Merrick, Director of Inmate Addiction Services, Kenton County Detention Center
- Jordan Hansen, COR-12 Program Manager, Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation
- More speakers to be announced soon!
Individuals recently released from correctional settings are up to 130 times more likely to die of an overdose than the general population, particularly in the immediate two weeks after release. During this time of reentry, extra levels of support and protection are critical, not only for saving lives but for building safer communities, reducing recidivism, lowering health care costs and ultimately helping people live drug and crime free lives.
Join us as we hear from local and state leaders along with experts in corrections, treatment and recovery as we discuss:
- Dangers and risks of reentry including cravings, relapse, overdose and death
- Kentucky Opioid Response Effort
- Kentucky's Supervision Motivation Accountability Responsibility and Treatment (SMART) program
- Kenton County Detention Center’s holistic treatment model based on a biological, psychological, social and spiritual approach
- The effect of substance use disorder on Medicaid and the important role of both public and private payers
- Challenges and opportunities with harm reduction strategies in the community
- The influence of courts and judges on recovery before and after incarceration
- How to build the bridge between jail and community treatment in order to provide a more seamless continuum of care
- The role of the recovery community for those returning home from jail
Together, we can transform the time of reentry into a time of hope
Questions? Please contact Jamie Welton.