KENTUCKY LEAGUE OF CITIES
Multimedia Governmental Affairs Communications Professional
Reports to: Governmental Affairs Manager
Position Summary: Performs professional and responsible work in planning, developing strategy, organizing, coordinating, managing and executing the League’s communication services related to legal, legislative and research functions. Assists executive management in the implementation of public relation tactics, including speech writing and media relations. Performs related work as required.
Work is performed under the general supervision of the Governmental Affairs Manager. This is sedentary to light work requiring limited physical effort. Position requires moderate travel; visual acuity for preparing, reviewing, checking and maintaining written computer files and records; hearing sufficient to accurately perceive information at normal spoken word levels; the ability to express or exchange ideas by means of the spoken word and manual dexterity to operate standard office, data entry and word processing equipmentâ€‹
• Plans, manages and implements the League’s communications and public relations efforts related to legal, legislative and research functions.
• Coordinates educational/outreach campaigns to inform the public about legislative and legal municipal government issues.
• Develops and cultivates relationships with a comprehensive list of elected officials, reporters and editors.
• Manages rapid response process for media coverage involving the KLC legislative department, as appropriate.
• Develops member-targeted outreach and advocacy efforts to drive member engagement and communicate legislative positions.
• Oversees execution and marketing of communication pieces such as the Legislative Agenda, Legislative Bulletins, Legislative Alerts and position papers.
• Arranges media interviews for spokespersons and helps with preparation for interviews and public appearances.
• Produces talking points for spokespersons.
• Coordinates media tracking, selection, and electronic distribution of news clips to the appropriate project team members.
• Creates and maintains media lists and press materials.
• Ensures that internal and external audiences are kept apprised of information and updates through all media platforms including newsletters, mailings, social media and other vehicles for direct communications.
• Prepares and writes Legislative Bulletins and Legislative Alerts.
• Writes magazine articles, website and e-newsletter communication pieces related to legislative issues.
• Provides information through a multimedia approach with videos, photos, social media and other means of communications.
• Researches complex policy and legislative issues and prepares speeches, op eds, contributions to City magazine and other communications as needed.
• Oversees media strategy related to legislative relations.
• Drafts press releases for KLC Legislative Awards.
• Performs related tasks as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Thorough knowledge of modern principles, practices and techniques of professional communications, legislative issues, complex policy matters, KLC programs and services, the methods, procedures and techniques of communication development (including social media) and word processing functions. The ability to coordinate and manage a comprehensive communications program;general knowledge of planning techniques and procedures; knowledge of interviewing, writing, layout and editing techniques and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other staff, elected officials, LRC staff, legislators, member agencies, speakers, the media and the general public. Ability to write, edit, post and produce stories with video and photographs on websites and social media. Must be adept in working with social media to maximize visual presentation and audience outreach. The ability to format business letters, correspondence, Legislative Bulletins and reports; perform work with Microsoft Word, Excel and other programs; and the ability to operate a variety of office equipment such as computers, copy machines and projectors. Organizational skills to independently initiate, prioritize and perform or solve work problems related to deviations in work assigned to meet fixed or fluctuating dealines and achieve work objectives. Ability to coordinate the assembly and submittal of large quantities of information from multiple sources and to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
Education and Experience: Requires a four year college degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in political science, communications, journalism, mass media, public administration or a related field.
Special Requirements: Possession of an appropriate driver’s license valid in the Commonwealth of Kentucky.