Text Size: Print this page

Use our A-Z index below to quickly find what you need.


Motel Tax

Cities that have established a tourist and convention commission may levy a motel tax, also known as a transient room tax, which is a tax on the rent of rooms in hotels, motels and similar lodging.  Revenue from the motel tax must be maintained in an account separate from all other funds and revenues. A portion of the funds must be provided to the tourist and convention commission to fund its operations.

The city legislative body may, with the advice and consent of the tourist and convention commission, determine an amount of the tax to be used to finance the acquisition, construction, operation and maintenance of facilities useful in the attraction and promotion of tourist and convention business.  The remainder of the funds must be used to promote and develop convention and tourist activities and facilities.





Contact Us
  • Want to know more about the laws governing motel taxes?  Contact Chris Johnson.
  • Need a sample transient room tax ordinance?  Contact Chris Johnson.
  • Want to know which cities have a motel tax?  Contact Joseph Coleman.
  • Want a list of cities with tourist and convention commissions?  Contact Joseph Coleman.
If you would like to suggest an addition to the topic list or suggest a correction, please contact Joseph Coleman.