City of AshlandAshland, KY
Date Posted: 3/2/2018 3:46:55 PM
This is a police practitioner class responsible for the provision of a broad range of law enforcement services to protect individual rights, preserve the peace, prevent and suppress crime, protect life and property, identify and apprehend criminal offenders and enforce regulatory measures.
- By the date of submission of the application be twenty one (21) years of age per KRS 15.382
- Provide birth certificate copy with application; be a high school graduate or have earned a GED and provide copy of diploma with application (home schooling documentation must be approved by KLEC)
- Possess a valid license to operate a motor vehicle and provide copy of license with application
- Must acquire/possess/maintain a valid KY drivers’ license.
- No prior felony or domestic violence convictions
- Not prohibited by federal or state law from possessing a firearm
- Not have had certification as a peace officer revoked in KY or any other state
- Not have received a dishonorable discharge, bad conduct discharge, or general discharge under other than honorable conditions, if served in any branch of U.S. Armed Forces
- Be willing to become a resident of KY prior to administration of Oath of Office, if employed
- Be willing to undergo and successfully complete thorough physical agility testing, a suitability screener examination which will include an evaluation by a psychologist/psychiatrist, be fingerprinted and undergo and successfully complete thorough personal background investigation, and polygraph testing
- Provide a truthful statement certifying no use of illicit drugs for the past 12 months; as a pre condition to employment and a condition to continued employment, execute a waiver to submit to random testing for illicit drugs
- After a conditional offer of employment, be willing to undergo and successfully complete thorough medical examination
- Be willing to execute a repayment agreement for continued employment with the APD for a minimum of thirty-six (36) months
- Be willing to attend the 23-week DOCJT basic training academy in Richmond, KY and must acquire/maintain certification as a KY police officer
- And, be free from tattoos or body piercing that will be visible while in any departmentally issued uniform. Body piercing does not include piercing of the ear lobe. Any applicant who is a “Certified Peace Officer” as defined in KRS 15.380 to 15.404 must provide a copy of the Peace Officer Professional Standards Certification issued by the KY Law Enforcement Council with application in order to be evaluated prior to processing all non-certified applicants.