City of NewportNewport, KY
Date Posted: 1/31/2018 9:00:42 AM
This is a full time position with at starting salary of $50,000 - $65,000 includes full benefits (including CERS). Please contact Terry Fornash at 859-655-6349 or email to email@example.com. Deadline date is February 28, 2018. Applications available online at www.newportky.gov. The City of Newport is an EOE.
FINANCE AND ADMINISTRATION DEPARTMENT SENIOR ACCOUNTANT
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE JOB:
This is an administrative position which is responsible for directing and supervising all financial operations of the department. Works under limited supervision and reports directly to the Finance Director.
- Directs and supervises all financial functions;
- Audits all computerized subsidiary accounting records to include, but not limited to payroll, purchasing, accounts payable, fixed assets, cash receipts, business license, property tax, miscellaneous receipts and pensions;
- Audits the general ledger and ensures that all accounting information is in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and / or state and local laws;
- Audits reconciliations for special events, projects and grants;
- Prepares and/or audits various detailed reports for local, state and federal agencies;
- Reviews the trial balance, departmental and financial reports on a monthly basis;
- Works closely with the city’s auditors and assists in the preparation of the comprehensive annual financial report (CAFR);
- Prepares and / or audits the necessary entries for opening and closing the city’s books, including opening balances, accruals, receivables and short term liabilities;
- Provides support for the computer network operations;
- Provides essential financial assistance to all department heads and department staff;
- Provides regular financial reports as to revenue, expenditures and related fiscal matters;
- Assists other departments with grant applications;
- Assists with processing and auditing of the budget;
- Establishes and maintains a sound system of internal controls and formal written policies;
- Appears for work and completes assigned tasks within a reasonable period of time;
- Works in a safe manner observing all safety rules and poses no significant risk to the health and safety of others.
ADDITIONAL JOB DUTIES:
- Provides backup and assistance to all areas of the Finance and Administration Department;
- Performs additional duties as required.
DESIRABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- Graduate from a four year college or university with a bachelor’s degree in finance or accounting;
- Any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the desired knowledge, skills and abilities.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of accounting principles relative to governmental funds;
- Knowledge of laws governing the management of municipal finances;
- Knowledge of accounting principles and practices of public administration with emphasis on financial management, budgets, implementation, execution and evaluation of policies and programs;
- Knowledge of federal, state and local laws, administrative regulations and ordinances relating to local government operations and reporting requirements;
- Supervisory abilities;
- Administrative and analytical abilities;
- Working knowledge of modern office practices, processes and procedures;
- Ability to operate modern office equipment;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with other employees;
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Must be bondable;
- Serves as a Notary Public for the City.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL DEMANDS:
- Ability to communicate effectively and prepare reports requiring writing, reading, mental reasoning and interpretation;
- Ability to operate modern office equipment using hands and fingers;
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds as required;
- Work is typically performed in an office setting at a desk or table with intermittent standing or stooping.